When it comes to New Orleans cuisine, there are a few staples that everyone knows and loves. Seafood, Cajun Cuisine… and Beignets, of course! Whether you’re a local or you’re just visiting, be sure to experience the deliciousness of beignets at the locals’ favorite restaurant, Joe’s Café.
A beignet is a fried dough pastry that is popular in New Orleans. The dough is made from a simple yeast-risen dough and is deep-fried in oil. Beignets are typically served hot and dusted with powdered sugar, hot glazed or covered with cinnamon sugar.
Beignets are believed to have originated in France, where they were known as “fritters.” They were brought to New Orleans by French colonists in the 18th century and have been a staple of the city’s cuisine ever since. Today, beignets are enjoyed by locals and visitors alike and are one of the city’s most iconic foods.
Chances are, you’ve probably seen the word beignet before. Maybe you’ve even eaten one (or two, or three). But how do you pronounce it? The answer may surprise you.
While the word is French in origin, it’s pronounced “ben-yay.” That’s right — the emphasis is on the second syllable. So, next time you’re in New Orleans and order a beignet, make sure to say it correctly. Your server will appreciate it!
Beignets might just be one of the tastiest things to come out of New Orleans. For starters, they’ve been around for a long time. Another reason for their popularity is that they’re incredibly versatile. Beignets can be enjoyed for breakfast, as a snack, or even for dessert. They can also be served hot or cold, which means they’re perfect for any occasion.
Perhaps the biggest reason for their popularity is that they’re just plain delicious! They’re light and airy, and they melt in your mouth.
Ah, beignets. These delicious fried pastries are a New Orleans tradition, and there’s nothing quite like sinking your teeth into a warm, sugar-coated beignet. But how much do you really know about them? Here are a few fun facts about these tasty treats:
- The word “beignet” means “bump” in French, which is fitting since these pastries are usually square or rectangular in shape.
- They even have their own New Orleans holiday, called National Beignet Day!
- Beignets are often associated with Mardi Gras, but they’re actually enjoyed year-round in New Orleans. You can find them on the menu at Joe’s Café whenever you get a hankering for one.
When you step into Joe’s Café, the first thing you’ll notice is the delicious smell of fresh beignets and donuts. Here’s what sets us apart:
- The beignets at Joe’s Café are made fresh to order.
- We offer four per order — most other restaurants only serve three! That’s more deliciousness in every beignet order.
- Our beignets are available with the traditional powdered sugar, but we also offer them glazed or dusted with cinnamon sugar.
- Beignets are one of our fan favorites for a reason, so come on in and try them today!
Joe’s Café is locally owned and operated, and it’s a New Orleans favorite for beignets. If you’re ever in the Big Easy looking for the best beignets near me, make sure to stop by Joe’s Café for some of these delicious treats. Joe’s Café has multiple locations in Marrero, Terrytown, Westwego, Gretna, Metairie, and Kenner. Customers can dine in, order through our drive-thru, or order online for pick-up or delivery. Joe’s Café delivers via Uber EATS and GrubHub. So, what are you waiting for? Come and get your beignet fix today!